Certificate number: BDT 005/2018 RTI
Because of the need to modernise its outdated medieval structures, after the Restoration (1641) Almeida set about building a new war infrastructure that was suited to the new artillery and would enable it to control the border. The stronghold is hexagonal in shape and consists of six bulwarks, each with its own ravelin. The town within the walls still has a substantial number of military buildings and very interesting civil architecture.
Aldeias Históricas de Portugal